In Nigeria, Save the Children has been working since 2001. The early focus was on getting children actively involved in shaping the decisions that affect their lives. Today, Save the Children is working in seven federal states – Zamfara, Yobe, Jigawa, Katsina, Kano, Bauchi and Kaduna – focusing on providing basic healthcare and protecting children.
We are recruiting suitably qualified candidates to fill the position below:
Job Title: Consultant Service for an Online Petition
Save the Children International Girl Child Ambassador, Maryam Ahmed, is mobilizing Nigerians to show support for girl child education, girl empowerment and passage of the Childs Rights Act in all States. By endorsing her campaign, Be Bold 4 girls’ education, the public can play a part in calling for more investment in policies, programs and laws that promote the rights and wellbeing of girl in Nigeria.
One of the activities of the Be Bold 4 Girls Education Campaign is an online petition which is a platform for individuals and organizations to add their signature to an online Petition letter addressed to their Senator or Representative in Parliament. The aim of the petition is to show policy makers and legislators that there are a critical number of Nigerians who care about seeing a dramatic improvement in the lives of girls.
Be Bold 4 Girls campaign is looking to sustain the existing momentum that has been built from the 16 days of Activism to end violence against women and girls and the recently concluded High Level Meeting on ending child marriage in Dakar.
This petition will be a tool for capturing outcomes, best practices, learnings and key achievements for the benefit of Save the Children, and present/ potential donors. It can also be used as an advocacy tool to policy makers, or as a reference material for organizations implementing similar projects or planning to do so. It will also serve as a knowledge management tool in terms of capturing the basic facts, figures and project results.
Specific objective of the assignment is to develop an online petition that will urge people to lend their voice in telling leaders to ensure child protection in a sustainable manner.
- The Petition will target school students, parents, civil servants, private sector, community members, business people, community leaders, celebrities and young people.
- Donors, partner organizations and other policy makers at national and sub-national levels
- Letter and Petition content in Hausa and English
- Online platform for hosting the petition including site design and branding
- Synchronization of this online platform with Save the Children Nigeria’s website and all social media platforms (Twitter, Facebook and Instagram)
- Mobilization of Children’s Parliament and Hausa committees/youth groups to promote the petition
- Management of online site and online promotion of the petition
- Evaluation and documentation of step by step progress of the online petition
- Final petition signatures to be delivered to National/State Assembly
- Report of processes regarding petition deliverables and administrative access rights to online petition platform
Requirements, Qualifications and Experience
The consultant will be required to have:
- 5 and above years of experience working in similar field
- Extensive experience in producing development work related online petitions for international organizations with the aim of reaching both local and international audiences to demand for policy change.
- Extensive experience in demanding for change amongst lawmakers at National and State Assemblies with the use of Information Technology
- Experience in working other international organizations in mobilizing Children’s Parliament and other youth groups
- Local Knowledge of the northern region in Nigeria particularly SC project areas
- Excellent online content creation and technical capacities to ensure smooth and high quality production
- Additional experience in development communication will be an added advantage
Duration of the Assignment:
- The assignment is expected to be undertaken between 18th December 2017 and 28nd December 2017 amounting for 7 days excluding public holidays on the 25th and 26th of December, 2017
All information pertaining to this project such as (petition content, online platform for hosting the petition including site design and branding, petition signatures to National/State Assembly and media) belonging to the Client, which the consultant may come into contact with in the performance of his/her, duties under this consultancy shall remain the property of the Client (i.e. Save the Children) who shall have exclusive rights over their use. Except for purposes of this assignment, the information shall not be disclosed to the public nor used in whatever without written permission of the Client in line with the national and International Copyright Laws applicable.
Contractual arrangements and supervision
- The consultant will be hired under SC’s terms of contract and supervised by the Advocacy and Campaign Unit solely for the purpose of delivering the above outputs, within the agreed time frame.
- The consultant will be required to spend 90% of the consultancy time at applicable project site in the focus areas of SC’s work. A timesheet to record time spent on the consultancy will be filled and signed by the consultant.
- Save the Children as the Client shall provide necessary support to the consultant in order to execute the assignment during the duration of the consultancy.
Application Closing Date
15th December, 2017.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online