In disaster, in hardship, in more than 40 countries around the world, we collaborate to put bold solutions into action – helping people triumph over adversity and build stronger communities from within, now and for the future.
In Nigeria, Mercy Corps operates in over 13 states focusing on key thematic areas of humanitarian response, conflict mitigation and adolescent girls’ empowerment.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Program Assistant
Location: Biu, Borno
Program / Department Summary
- Mercy Corps Nigeria’s humanitarian program aims to provide assistance to populations affected by the crisis in Northeast Nigeria.
- With funding from humanitarian donors including OFDA, FFP, EU, and ECHO the humanitarian programs engage in several interventions including but not limited to food assistance, non-food items (NFI), protection, livelihoods, cash transfers, WASH and capacity building of humanitarian response actors.
- Mercy Corps is scaling-up and expanding its humanitarian response in Northeast Nigeria to reach more beneficiaries with additional assistance in a wider geographic area.
General Position Summary
- The Cash Transfer Programming (CTP)/Cash for Work (CFW) Program Assistant will assist in the day to day implementation of all CTP/CFW program activities in the areas of intervention.
- The PA will work closely with CTP/CFW Program Officers to ensure smooth implementation of cash/voucher related activities.
- The CTP/CFW Program Assistant will report to the Cash & Vouchers Senior Program Officer and work collaboratively with fellow program and MEL staff.
- S/He may also support other livelihood sector interventions including unconditional cash transfers, livelihood grants and VSLAs.
Essential Job Responsibilities
- Assist program officers to ensure cash transfer programming and cash for work activities progress according to the developed schedule and work plan.
- Assist in the coordination with program stakeholders in target geographical areas.
- Support in the process of beneficiary registration, community mobilization and sensitization.
- Assist in promoting community participation and inclusion so as to encourage community ownership over activities implemented.
- Ensure equal representation of various community groups in the implementation of activities.
- Assist in the facilitation of community meetings, focus group discussion and other as required by the program.
- Keep program officers and management updated with regards to security situation in the project implementation area.
- Provide weekly field reports, capturing activities progress, observed humanitarian needs, general situation and community updates.
- Support program officers in CTP/CFW activity planning and project related documentation.
- Document lessons learned and success stories related to CTP/CFW activities with the support and guidance of MEL team.
- Adherence to all MC policies and procedures as outlined in MC policies and procedure manuals;
- Conduct himself/herself both professionally and personally in such a manner as to bring credit to Mercy Corps and to not jeopardize its humanitarian mission in country of operation;
- Other duties as assigned.
Knowledge and Experience
- 1-2 years of working experience.
- Previous experience in community/social work is highly preferred.
- Proven ability to develop and maintain good relation with the local communities and project beneficiaries.
- Demonstrated skills in planning, organizing and reporting
- Bachelor Degree in relevant field or equivalent experience is highly recommended
- Ability to work under pressure
- Strong interpersonal, intercultural and communication skills
- Excellent oral and written skills and computer skills
- Fluency in English; fluency in Hausa is required.
- The successful candidate will be an effective communicator, with dedication towards community work, commitment to work long hours in the field conditions with limited access to resources.
- S/He will be highly motivated, with initiative and capable to work without direct supervision.
- S/he will be willing to conduct field travels and work in ethnically and culturally diversified and fast growing team.
Application Closing Date
29th April, 2017
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should forward their CV’s and Cover Letter in one document, addressing the position requirements to: firstname.lastname@example.org Note
- All applications must include the position title in the subject line.
- Only short-listed candidates will be contacted for interview and we are an equal opportunity organization so women are strongly encouraged to apply for this position.