The World Maritime University (WMU) in Malmö, Sweden is a postgraduate maritime university founded in 1983 by the International Maritime Organization (IMO), a specialized agency of the United Nations.
The aim of WMU is to further enhance the objectives and goals of IMO and IMO member States around the world through education, research, and capacity building to ensure safe, secure, and efficient shipping on clean oceans. WMU is truly an organization by and for the international maritime community.
- Application Deadline: May 7, 2018
- Course Level: Scholarships are available to pursue MSc and PhD programme.
- Study Subject: Scholarships are awarded in Maritime Affairs.
- Scholarship Award: Some fellowships cover the cost of a full fellowship, and may or may not cover the additional cost of the English & Study Skills Programme. Others provide only the University Fee.
- Nationality: South African students are eligible to apply for this scholarship programme.
- Number of Scholarships: A limited number of fellowships to provide financial support to students are given each year by a range of international donors.
- Scholarship can be taken in Studies will be undertaken at the prestigious World Maritime University (WMU) in Sweden, Malmo.
Eligibility for the Scholarship:
Eligible Countries: South African students are eligible to apply for this scholarship programme.
Entrance Requirements: To be eligible for this scholarship you must meet the following requirements:
Entrance Requirement: 14-month Standard Programme
WMU admits students who are already established in careers in the maritime field. The Admissions Board will consider only those applicants who meet the following general entrance requirements:
- A Bachelor’s degree in a relevant discipline, or an equivalent university qualification
- The highest grade certificate of competency for unrestricted service as a master mariner or chief engineer, or equivalent maritime qualifications
- Substantial, directly relevant professional experience
- Competence in the English language, demonstrated by an internationally recognized standard test (See the full English language requirements on the next page)
- Computer competence (at least the ability to use Microsoft Office)
Solid computer skills are essential since students are required to use computers from the beginning of the first semester to write their examination answers, complete assignments, and carry out research and other projects. Applicants who lack computer and keyboard skills cannot be accepted. From the group of applicants who meet these general entrance requirements, the Admissions Board will select only the best-qualified candidates, taking into account all their qualifications and achievements.
Additional Entrance Requirements: Accelerated Programme
In addition to meeting the requirements outlined above, applicants for advanced standing must demonstrate they have already covered the content of the first semester of the standard programme. The additional qualifications required are:
- A postgraduate qualification in an area directly relevant to the specialization the student intends to follow
- Senior level, directly relevant professional experience
- Proficiency in English without attending the English and Study Skills Programme, and with an appropriate score in the writing skills section of the test. The tests and marks required are specified under “English language requirements”
- excellent IT skills
Applicants to the accelerated programme must supply detailed transcripts from their undergraduate and postgraduate study. In lieu of transcripts detailed syllabi, the marks gained, and a full academic reference must be supplied.
English Language Requirements: Applicants must have proficiency in English without attending the English and Study Skills Programme, and with an appropriate score in the writing skills section of the test. The tests and marks required are specified under “English language requirements”. The ESSP is designed to enhance English language competencies and provide the skills necessary to follow a postgraduate programme successfully, whether at WMU or another institution.
How to Apply: Your application must be sent to TETA at victor-at-teta.org.za and Malcolm-at-teta.org.za by no later than Friday 7 May 2018, 16:00 pm.